Thursday, September 17, 2009

Back to School

Brad has decided that the suit-and-tie, sit-behind-a-desk-all-day-long kind of job is not for him. He says that he is "so over" selling people debt at the bank. Actually, he's over selling anybody anything. After three different job attempts, it has become glaringly evident that sales (and working on that terrible commission) is not his cup of tea.

He wants to be active. He wants to be involved. He wants to interact with people. He wants to make a difference. He wants to do something that actually matters.

So, without further adieu, I am very pleased to announce that my incredible husband is going back to school to get his Bachelor's Degree in Nursing!

He's currently attending Nashville State Community College to get some prerequisites out of the way. Since he got a business degree at Freed-Hardeman, he needs to catch up on many of his sciences (Anatomy and Physiology - Yuck!). Right now, he taking a couple of evening courses and an online class. The plan is for him to complete one more semester of prereq's before he officially enrolls into nursing school.

Ultimately, he'd like to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthesiologist (CRNA) and would ideally work at Vanderbilt Hospital here in Nashville, and rake in the big bucks. ;) The BSN and RN status are intended to be his foot in the door of the medical community.

Speaking of those big bucks, this career move will hopefully better enable me to stay at home once we start our family. That perk was one of the main selling points for me to give the green light on the job switch.

He has already resigned from his position as Financial Adviser at First Tennessee Bank. But anybody who knows Brad, knows that he will not just sit around with any spare time on his hands. On top of his nearly full-time student schedule (11 hours), he is working a couple part-time jobs. He has moved up to an assistant manager position in addition to his delivery position at Domino's. (Which is especially nice, because even though the hours and shifts got heavier, he got an hourly raise regardless of whether or not he's delivering, so it's in addition to his regular tips. Holla!) He has also become a certified Life Guard at the local YMCA. He's definitely working hard to work his way through school and achieve his goal.

I honestly could not be more proud of my husband. He will make the best nurse in the whole entire world. I trust him with all of my heart, and know that his decisions are made with the greatest consideration of the future of our family. I definitely want a happy husband; with or without the big bucks.

I can't believe how much God has blessed me with such an incredible man.

I love you, honey, and respect you so, so very much!

9 comments:

Bryan said...

Maybe a Rodney Dangerfield picture would've been appropriate.

em said...

we are cheering for you guys!!! Go Mehaffeys!!!

Meagan said...

oh my, i had no clue he was thinking about doing that. so excited for you guys and your new adventure. we need to catch up soon mindy, i miss you. <3

Sasha said...

That takes a lot of courage. I'm glad that he is pursuing something he will like and also has a plan to still take care of the both of you while he's in school. That's a lot of responsibility. Kudos to the both of you!

Love My Country Home said...

Wow - that's quite a change in careers. Good luck Brad - I know you'll get all the support and encouragement you need from Mindy.

Kristen said...

I'm so excited for you guys!! This sounds like a great decision for Brad and for your family. Jeremy and I know firsthand how important it is to have competent people in the medical field and I'm glad to hear that Brad will soon be one of them!

Miss you, Mindy!

suburbangranola said...

I agree that Brad will make a fantastic nurse. He is such an energetic, motivated, hard working guy!

Kathy said...

Go Brad! My mom and brother are both nurses. I know for my brother, his gender and physical strength can be a big benefit to his job! I think this sounds like a great plan.

Anonymous said...

Tell Brad he will be an amazing nurse!!! And, you will be an amazing mom someday :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails