Friday, November 13, 2009

Farmers' Market Frenzy

Have you ever been to a Farmers' Market? Neither had we. I can't believe that we hadn't ever, really. We're all about fresh produce as well as supporting local businesses and farmers. A Farmers' Market is just what we needed. Apparently, Nashville has a pretty great Farmers' Market that is open every day, year round. Brad and I finally had our inaugural visit, this past weekend.

I couldn't believe all of the produce available! It really was just like a giant, outdoor (although covered) grocery store. We spent quite a bit of time just looking around and getting a feel for it all.


As far as the eye could see, there were mountains of apples, carrots, pears, peppers, bananas, carrots, peanuts, potatoes, and even some jams, pies, and breads. One guy even coerced us into buying one of his green tomatoes, by offering us a discount on the rest of his merchandise. Okay, how can we refuse that? Besides, he was very anxious for ust to fry it up and experience the Southern specialty for the first time. (We followed the recipe he told us as closely as possible, but I'm just not sure we'll ever be big Fried Green Tomatoes eaters.)

We bought some organic milk in glass jars from a farmer from Kentucky that drives down each weekend, and we also bought a bunch of meat from an organic farmer that lives in a neighboring county. He spent a lot of time with us, gathering a combination of beef and pork that fit our budget and explaining how to cook each type (since we totally don't cook regularly). He also cut us a deal on the price. Wow, the Farmers' Market is kind of cool. People are nice, spend time talking with you, and give you discounted prices? Yes, please! The healthy, fresh produce and support of local people like us is just icing on the cake!


Needless to say, we walked out of there with our hands loaded. It was really a great experience, and a lot of fun together. I don't know if we'll only do our shopping there from now on, but we'll definitely consider it when we have the time and opportunity. If you've never been to one, I totally recommend finding a Farmers' Market in your area. Just try it. I bet you'll like it.

3 comments:

Chara said...

We went when I was pregnant with Jonah and we spent a LOT of money. All the produce was gone in four days. :)

emily said...

yummy! this blog entry has made me HUNGRY!!!

Sharon said...

I so totally agree. I so love all the farmers markets around here... mmmm the homemade bread and pastries are awesome. And the years of cooking wisdom from the local moms is worth every penny. I so love all the small farm shops around here. I could go on and on and on but I will spare you the great deals, good friends, good ole country conversation and great produce I have ran into up here. Love it! Glad you found a great experience, it is worth it to just keep going back every week.

Related Posts with Thumbnails