Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rare Commodity

Where I grew up, it was understood that the only acceptable salad dressing was Mullen's French. Everybody (who was anybody) agreed that it's unique flavor and texture, as well as its over all deliciousness made it the clear dressing of choice. (It's so unlike any other old, run-of-the-mill French dressing. More like a tangy, French vinaigrette of sorts. You'll just have to try it. Seriously.)


I didn't realize that it was rare until we moved to Indiana during my high school years, and the only grocery store that carried it was the local County Market, which only had a small supply at that. (Really, people didn't even know what they were missing.) Regardless of the special trip it took to acquire the goodness, Mullen's French remained a staple in our household for all of our salad topping needs. Imagine my sadness when Brad and I moved down South and Mullen's deliciousness was nowhere to be found.

For the last eight years, I've had an open commerce with the North going to supply my favorite dressing. In most instances, a parent of ours would bring a shipload down with them whenever they visited that would sustain me until our next fair trade. Sadly, I depleted my resources over a month ago, ahead of schedule.


When Brad and I visited Indiana this past weekend, I had to visit County Market and purchase a stock pile of the classic dressing, myself. (Since Brad doesn't like it, {pshh} I think three bottles should last me a couple of  months...) I can't wait to make a tasty chef salad, complete with ham, turkey, bacon, carrots, hard-boiled eggs, green bell peppers, grape tomatoes, lots of cheese, and croutons, then top it all off with my very favorite salad dressing of all time, Mullen's French. Mmmm... I'm hungry just thinkin about it.

What regional item do you love that you have to "import" to your home?

10 comments:

Karen said...

Being from Maryland, I have to have steamed crabs fed exed to me if I want them.... its an expensive delivery - but OH so worth it!

Anonymous said...

Awww this just reminded me that my source of cheese curds (my parents) will not live in cheeseland soon and my supply will be cut off! Waaah.

Kristen said...

Why does some of it say "French dressing" and the other one say "Imitation French dressing"? I thought you would address this glaring discrepancy, Mindy Sue. =) (I know it's really Mindy Lynn, but somehow Mindy Sue still always sounds right to me...)

Erin Howell said...

You are hilarious!....
and I thought you knew better, salads don't count as meals. ;)

miss you.

trevor said...

ya i have to go out of town to get anything related to snowboarding :) in fact sunday im driving 30 miles to get some new goggles, and a helmet.

Amber said...

two soft drinks in ky: ski and ale 8 :)

JSHS said...

It used to be Sun Drop - now it's Pork Burgers and Pork Tenderloin sandwiches from the KY Pork Producers!

Kimberly Washer said...

While living in Malaysia I don't get a lot of my normal foods, condiments, etc. I could really go for some honey mustard and Dr. Pepper right about now. Oh well, it will have wait four more months!

Anonymous said...

When I go to Effingham, I love to eat at Taco Rail! Of course if Anita's Drive In was still the same you know I would want to go and eat there!!

Jeanna

Jamie Frankum said...

I would love to know the difference in the "imitation" and the other one. Really?!?!

Related Posts with Thumbnails