Friday, November 14, 2008

Brendan James Concert

Recently, thanks to my Pandora Radio playing in the background while I'm at work, Brad and I have discovered some new musical artists and bands that we really like. Brad ordered some songs of off iTunes of one of my favorites, Brett Dennen. Through iTunes, he searched for other artists with a similar sound. Turns out, that "sound" we like is considered Folk music. Who knew? Brad surprised me with an entire CD of various artists that fit into the folk genre, along with my already liked Brett Dennen. I would have never considered myself a folk fan, but it turns out, I pretty much love all the music he compiled for the CD. Since all of the music was new, and none of the artists were familiar, and they all had a similar sound, Brad and I didn't know which song on the CD went with which singer. However, we did know that one of the artists somewhere on the CD was named Brendan James.

Brad saw that Brendan was going to be in Nashville playing at the local corner bar, 3rd and Lindsley. Even though we weren't sure which particular songs he sang, we did know that he was on our new favorite mixed CD, and we bought the inexpensive tickets to his small show. The concert was last night. And it was awesome. When we got there, Sparky's Flaw (what a name) was already opening for him. However, we didn't know what Brendan James looked like, or even really what he sounded like, and we were loving what we were hearing, so we just assumed that this was him. We were a little surprised a few songs in, when they made a comment about being pleased to open for Brendan.

Twenty minutes later, Sparky's Flaw left the stage and Brendan James took over. Apparently, Brendan James is a whole band, and Brendan is just the lead singer. I mean, seriously, Brad and I had no idea what to expect. It's kind of funny to think about it now. But, anyway, the point of my story is to tell you how great of a time we had at his concert last night. We loved every song that he sang. His voice is incredible, his songs are pretty deep, and his piano playing skills are remarkable. You really should check him out. He's actually on an MTV SoundTracker Tour, right now. So, there's a chance you may be able to see him live! I know that we thought it was definitely worth it.

2 comments:

Meagan said...

I think I've heard of this Brendan guy, but I'm gonna double-check. P.S. Folk music is the best! OK so I've started to update the blog I started in 2006. It's at www.nutmeglou.blogspot.com. And from there you can see the family blog I created (for my parents mainly, knew they'd like it). BTW I'm really happy your friend Adam is recovering nicely, that's a miracle only God could perform. Well, love you, didn't mean to write a novel here.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you, turns out I very much love music in the "folk" genre, too. It was a surprise to me as well! Check out Mindy Smith, especially her Christmas album. It was my favorite one last year! And "Tennessee." It's on another one, but I love that song. I'll have to check out this Brendan guy you speak of...

Related Posts with Thumbnails