Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Nashville Flood of '10


This is just devastating. It's surreal. I can't believe there is this kind of destruction and disaster in my own town. It breaks my heart. I can't stop looking at pictures and videos of it all.

Before you start to worry, Brad and I are fine, as are our friends. Actually, when we woke up Saturday morning, we simply enjoyed the rainy, lazy day with some delicious breakfast and cuddling on the couch. We didn't realize the enormity of the situation until we turned on the news and saw this: 


This is literally the exit that I use to get onto the interstate every day on my way to work. I couldn't believe it. Completely unrecognizable. It blew my mind. It continued to get worse and worse throughout the day. A little later, you couldn't even see the cars, the semis were stuck as well, and buildings were floating down the road!


All of this, this devastation, in Nashville. At home. What in the world?? Something of this magnitude has never happened here. The depth of these waters was completely unfathomable before now. Nobody saw it coming.

Of course, the boys had to ignore the Mayor's warnings to "stay indoors and off the streets," to go check it out for themselves. However, they couldn't venture out too far due to the many flooded streets and road blockages. We were pretty much deadlocked without anywhere to go. (At least, when we were shut up in our home, we had easily accessible friends to help alleviate the cabin fever. And, for once, we were praying that Emily did not go into labor! The Lord listened to that prayer, and we're still patiently waiting for her to arrive.) 

This is the part that especially breaks my heart. If you know Nashville, you know of the Opryland  Hotel. If you  know me, you know how much I love the Opryland Hotel. I absolutely adore it. I really feel like it's the best place on Earth. So calm and peaceful and romantic and wonderful and beautiful... Actually, it was an experience in this building, surrounded by a giant group of fellow Christians, when I was 12 years old that made me want to move to Nashville, in the first place. Now look.  :(



Many people were so greatly affected by these unprecedented rains and flooding. Some even lost their homes completely. I can't begin to imagine... Please join me as we cover everyone in prayer along with the continued effort to restore Music City.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails