Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Traditions

For the first time in our lives, Brad and I won't be with either of our families on Christmas day. I have to work the day after Christmas, so we can't travel to Indiana to enjoy the holiday, like we have every other year of our marriage. At first, I was devastated by this news. However, I have spent a great deal of time transferring my point of view, and now, I'm rather excited that Brad and I are going to be able wake up Christmas morning in our own house with our own tree and begin our very own traditions. I'm thinking about sleeping near the tree on Christmas Eve under the twinkling of the lights. We'll most likely have cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Christmas morning, like Brad has grown up doing his whole life. We might even have to eat the cookies left over that Santa couldn't finish. (And don't worry, both sets of parents are making the trip down to Nashville on consecutive weekends to celebrate here with us. Yea!)

I'm really anxious to implement some new traditions in our little family of two. I didn't really grow up with traditions around Christmastime, and that leaves room for countless possibilities. I definitely want to bake Christmas cookies and string popcorn (and cranberries) for our tree. I'm sure we'll have even more once our family includes children - wearing special new Christmas PJ's as we read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" each Christmas Eve, for instance. Is there anything that you do every year that we should adopt into our annual festivities? I'm very open for suggestions.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails