Monday, December 29, 2008

Tender Tennessee Christmas


This year, for the first year, Brad and I stayed home for Christmas. We were both anxious to celebrate our very own Christmas together, and it was the perfect opportunity to jump start some holiday traditions. On Christmas Eve, we baked special cookies for Santa. Brad even surprised me with a set of metal Christmas cookie cutters that he let me dig out of my stocking a day early. We left them out on the side table for Santa all night, but he must have already been full by the time he got to our house, because he didn't eat many. We didn't mind. We gladly finished them off for him.

We each opened one gift on Christmas Eve - our Christmas PJ's. Once we were snug as a bug, we stoked the fire in the fireplace, brewed some delicious hot chocolate (added some extra marshmallows) and enjoyed the great classic "A Christmas Carol." Once it was sufficiently late enough, we snuggled together on the floor of the living room near the fire and slept under the twinkling lights of the Christmas tree, awaiting the magic that the next day would bring.

We woke up on Christmas morning and first opened our stockings. Brad got "The Bourne Identity" and "The Bourne Supemacy" as well as some of his favorite gum, a couple of his favorite pens, and a Santa hat. I got a much needed car charger for my cell phone, some adorable Christmas earrings, a package of beef jerky, and the cutest set of snowman (and snowwoman) salt & pepper shakers. After that, we took turns opening our gifts. Brad got me an awesome new camera with all of the accessories and a pair of much anticipated Clark Wallabies. I got him a hiking backpack along with a few miscellaneous backpacking items to satiate his appetite for nature and adventure.

Later, we watched THE Christmas classic "It's a Wonderful Life," and Matthew and Heather came over to share breakfast with us. Together, we watched "A Christmas Story," which turns out to be much funnier as a full-length feature than as tiny snippets here and there from the annual 24-hour TBS marathon, which is the only way I had ever previously enjoyed it. Finally, as the evening approached us, Brad and I put our Christmas PJ's aside, and our group of four went to the movie theater - along with every other person in Nashville - to watch "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." (Apparently, we watch a lot of movies!)

All in all, I believe it was the very best Christmas I've ever had. It was everything I hoped it would be - sweet, relaxing, memorable, romantic, warm, fun, and full of Christmas magic. I am very truly blessed.

To view the complete photo album with commentary, click here.
To view the extended album, click here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails