Monday, December 22, 2008

Passing the Torch

When Brad and I were engaged, I had a sweatshirt that said "Soon to be Mrs. Mehaffey" on the back. I wore it practically every day of our 18 month engagement. So much so, that Brad swore to burn it if he ever saw it again after our wedding. It was such a presence throughout our engagement that we not only featured it in some of our engagement photos, but we also displayed it on an easel at our reception with the "Soon to be" (finally) marked through with black tape. Once we were married, to keep Brad from destroying it, my beloved sweatshirt was stored away in the closet along with all the other wedding keepsakes.

I never originally intended to give it away. All I knew was that I would treasure this token of that era of my life forever, presumably in my closet. But when Matthew proposed to Heather, it seemed only natural to pass it along to the next "Soon to be Mrs. Mehaffey." (Thank goodness, it was still in surprisingly great condition after a little bleach!) Maybe she'll eventually hand it even further down to Jeremy's future fiance. And, who knows? It may become a family heirloom. Depending on which of us has the first son to get engaged, maybe even our children's fiances will enjoy the billboard proclaiming the proposal just as we all will have. We'll just have to see how long the fabric can hold out. But for now, I'm gladly passing the torch.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I loved this! Probably one of my favorite gifts to date! I think it means so much because I know what it took for you to pass this sweater along to me! I think I heard about it the first night we hung out! LoL! Anyway, LOVE it and I'll be wearing it out as well! Hopefully, I'll be as strong as you are when it comes time to pass it along to Jeremy's fiance! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails