Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Southern Snow

Last Thursday, Nashville had a blizzard. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. These were flakes large enough to impress even my Midwestern heritage. Unfortunately, the majority of drivers on the interstate after work were not accustomed to such precipitation. It started snowing right as the work day ended, and my usual 30-40 minute commute home (which is sadly only 14 minutes on any given Saturday afternoon) was involuntarily transformed into a 1 hour and 25 minute commute. But the flakes were so beautiful and I loved absorbing one of God's most precious blessings that I refused to become frustrated with the traffic. (Besides, if these people think they need to drive a whopping 4 mph, then maybe they are right. I'd much rather slow drivers than 30-car pile ups.)

Even getting into our apartment complex was nearly impossible. Apparently, Tennesseans believe it's smart to maintain their turtle speed even when attempting to drive up a hill. Silly Southern folk. Don't they know they'll get stuck? Well, they do now, regardless. When I finally pulled safely into my parking spot, I ran inside, threw off my heels and on some real shoes and a warmer coat and ran outside with the family. Chester traipsed through the fluff confused about how it was here instead of at his grandparents' houses. Sadly, we didn't have time to explain it to him. Brad and I already had plans to meet Adam and Gena for dinner.

The Garmin claims that they live a measly 4.7 miles away. However, it took us 45 minutes and one police detour around a wreck to arrive safely at our destination. During our expedition, I enjoyed playing with the snow that was packed on Brad's car. I could just wipe the side mirror and it instantly formed a snowball. It had piled up quite high against the windows, and I would roll the window down just enough to squeeze it in my hands. It was absolutely perfect packing snow. I didn't realize how much I missed the snowfall until I was experiencing it again.

Anyway, we finally made it to the Hesselrode's and immediately layered the kids up in warm gear and headed out. Brad and Davis had a little snowball fight, but we all got too cold before we could properly make any snowmen or snow angels. It didn't matter, though. The snow was pretty enough that we got our full joy out of it. And just knowing that it was snowing outside while watching Rudolph near the fireplace provided a peace that can't be challenged any other time of the year.

Oh, by the way, we heard tires squealing and peeling out all night long as people were slipping on ice trying to get through the gate into our apartment complex. And the next morning, the only exit out of the complex was completely filled up with non-moving cars. I legitimately had to call in to work because I had no way of escape. Hmph, sad. I fell back asleep and enjoyed the extra impromptu rest of a late morning.

1 comment:

Erin Howell said...

YAY for snow!! Hopefully we will get some more soon.. and it will actually stay for a day or so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails