Friday, June 4, 2010

It's a gnome's world

Okay, so I love lawn gnomes. It is what it is. I'm not ashamed to admit it. It's part of who I am.

Ever since we've owned a home, I've been dying to invite little gnomes to inhabit the area with us. People (ie. Brad and the Gang) make fun of me, but I don't care. I think they're cute. And I like to imagine that they come to life and run around the yard causing a raucous, like in Harry Potter.

This is Walter.


Kris bought him for me. Isn't that nice? Despite his vehement warnings to me against becoming "The Gnome Lady," (we already have one of those in our neighborhood), he is the one who officially provided the first one! He said that he just couldn't pass it up when he saw it. I knew all along that the whole Crew is secretly anxious to host some gnomes, as well. Besides, I have to admit, Walter can be very persuasive with that walking stick!


He's about three inches tall and stands on top of a little post, so he can be placed in a flower pot or something. But in the Hill Ridge Hood, he politely welcomes people from atop our group picnic table. The boys drilled a little hole in the table near the umbrella stand for his post to fit into, so he can't run away. (Or so we think. Who knows what happens when we're not looking. A little piece of wood drilled into another piece of wood is no match for HP Magic. I'm just sayin...)

I do believe that Walter is only the first of many. If he gets enough friends, and they can convince the rest of the crew, we're totally petitioning to make the newly cleared open lot next door into a whole Gnome Village! And Walter, despite his size, will be the patriarch of them all. Oh, it will happen.

Watch out Gnome Lady at the end of the street. This neighborhood isn't big enough for the two of us. 

5 comments:

Bryan said...

I'm thinking Walter will be bullied out of his patriarchal role once some larger gnomes come into the picture

Lindsey said...

Yes, loving the Harry Potter mention! We gotta start reading again!

Unknown said...

mindy you crack me up. i love you. you should live in strasburg, did you know its the gnome capital of the world? there are only 600 ppl that live there but 450 gnomes. it was in the chicago newspaper! the gnome is their official town mascot. hope you enjoy your first gnome!

emily said...

hahaha!!! i love you and i LOVE this post! walter rocks the house...and of course, we must give a shout out to sheldon (the distant cousin). H.O.L.L.A.

Erin Howell said...

You are hilarious... you would...

Related Posts with Thumbnails