Thursday, December 9, 2010

O Christmas Tree

There are fewer things I love more than Christmastime; not only the day itself, but the entire season. (Which is why I began my Christmas season as early as possible, even before Thanksgiving, this year.) Nothing visually demonstrates the season better than the decorative centerpiece of the holiday:
The Christmas Tree

I love decorating our tree every year. Not only does it mean the start of Christmas, when I can finally stop reigning in my excitement and start watching the movies, listening to the music, seeing the sights and smelling the scents, but it also allows me to take a stroll down Memory Lane, starting in 2005 during Brad's and my first Christmas together.


Every year since then, we have purchased and personalized an ornament. (Except for 2006 - would it be a lie to get one and just backlog it for the missing year? Maybe with something cute with caps and gowns since that's when Brad and I graduated from college?) This year, we got to personalize two since we got an additional one to commemorate the purchase of our first home!


I love the opportunity to reminisce as we remove each ornament from storage and carefully place it on the branches. We have one from our honeymoon in Niagara Falls, others that we colored ourselves, and even a sweet baby one honoring Brad's very first Christmas back in 1983! (Thanks, Elaine, for passing down your firstborn's ornaments as he transitioned into his own home.) We also have a plethora of tree decorations that have no sentimental value other than making me smile every time I see them sparkle.


Looking at a Christmas tree shine makes my whole body relax. For some reason, sitting in the glow and enjoying the twinkling lights feels like home to me. It's calm and it's peaceful. It's comforting to know that families all over the world are doing the same thing. It provides a sense of stability and joy even when the world may not be going the way you'd prefer.


I definitely love Christmas Day, and especially the birth of my Savior which it represents, but for me it's the entire Christmas season building up the anticipation for that celebration that is my favorite. A whole month (or more) of peace and joy and hope and love and kindness and sharing and selflessness and warmth and family and togetherness and fun and sparkles and shine and cookies and smiles and stories and friends and movies and music and smells and gingerbread houses and decorations and completeness. And it all begins with the Christmas Tree. Let the Christmastime begin. 

Have you put up your Christmas tree, yet?

5 comments:

Brittany said...

I love it! We try to get a new ornament every year. I have ran out of ideas for the personalized one each year so I have starting throwing some hallmark ones in the mix. I love an excuse for a new ornament!

Kimberly Washer said...

very pretty tree!! We don't get a christmas tree in our place this year...living in a hotel room in Malaysia isn't all it's cracked up to be during the holiday season. However, we do get to enjoy a BIG one down in the lobby!!

Jo Speed said...

Beautiful tree kiddo. You did good.

Kristen said...

Your tree is beautiful! So pretty. And I loved your description of the many joys of the Christmas season at the end. =)

Erin Howell said...

Beautiful Christmas tree! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails